Top Five Detroit Athletes of All Time
There is a great debate brewing on our radio web site Sportsinferno.com. You can click on the link to the right and join in and check out the entire web site or you can post here. It is a great debate that is going to brew even harder around Super Bowl XL. I cannot tell you exactly what is going on yet but it is going to be a fun issue to debate.
I keep changing my mind but for now here are my top five. Check with me in 48 hours I probably would have changed my mind again.
1. Joe Louis: He meant so much to the community and the nation. He boxed when the sport was just as big as baseball.
2. Gordie Howe: Some will argue he is the best hockey player of all time. He scored, was tough and made playing the Wings very difficult.
3. Barry Sanders: He did not leave the way we wanted but once again you can argue this is the best running back of all time.
4. Steve Yzerman: Another of the all-time greats. I always debate who was better -- Stevie Y or Howe? But bottom line is Howe is higher on the NHL pecking order than Yzerman.
5. Isiah Thomas: There was no Pistons before he arrived. Zeke not only was a great player but he pounded winning in a stale and disorganized organization.